Union cabinet to meet today; recommend dissolution of 16th Lok Sabha
24, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- The Union Cabinet will meet this evening to recommend the dissolution of the 16th Lok Sabha.
- The meet is being held a day after the counting of votes for the Lok Sabha elections in which the NDA is all set to retain power.
- After the Cabinet’s recommendation is passed in the form of a resolution, President Ram Nath Kovind will dissolve the present Lok Sabha.
- The term of the 16th Lok Sabha will end on the 3rd June and the 17th Lok Sabha has to be constituted before that date.
- The process to form a new House will be initiated when the Chief Election Commissioner along with Election Commissioners will meet the President in the next few days to hand over the list of newly-elected members.
- After the meeting of the Union Cabinet, the Council of Ministers, which also comprises Ministers of State will meet at the office of the Prime Minister.