The examination comprise of two compulsory papers of 200 marks each. It is of objective type (multiple choice questions). This examination is meant to serve as a screening test only; the marks obtained in the Preliminary Examination by the candidates who are declared qualified for admission to the Main Examination will not be counted for determining their final order of merit.
- The question papers will be set both in Hindi and English.
- The General Studies Paper — II of the Civil services (Preliminary) Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%.
- Each paper will be of two hours duration.
- There will be negative marking for incorrect answers.
Duration: 2 hrs
- Current events of national & international importance
- History of India & Indian National Movement
- India & World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India & world
- Indian Polity and Governance — Constitution, Political System, Panchayat Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic & Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio – Diversity and Climate Change that do not require subject specialisation.
- General Science
Duration: 2 hrs
- Interpersonal skills including Communication skills
- Logical Reasoning and Analytical Ability
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- General Mental Ability
- Basic Numeracy( Numbers and their relations, order of magnitude, etc.) (Class X Level)
- Data Interpretation (Charts, Graphs, Tables, Data Sufficiency etc.) (Class X Level)