US places Chinese, Pakistani companies on entity list
21, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- The United States of America on May 13, 2019 placed 12 foreign companies, including several entities from China and Pakistan in its entity list to ensure that sensitive technologies do not fall into the hands of those who would threaten its national security.
- The 12 entities that have made it into the US blacklist include four companies with locations in both China and Hong Kong along with two Chinese, one Pakistani and five Emirati persons.
- The Export Administration Regulations (EAR) of the United States contains a list of names of certain foreign persons, including businesses, research institutions, government and private organizations, individuals, and other types of legal persons that are subject to specific license requirements for export, re-export or transfer (in-country) of specified items.
- These persons comprise the Entity List.
- On an individual basis, the persons on the Entity List are subject to licensing requirements and policies supplemental to those found elsewhere in the EAR.