US STATE DEPARTMENT APPROVES 2.6 BILLION DOLLAR CHOPPER SALE TO INDIA
04, Apr 2019
Prelims level : International relations Mains level : Paper – III: Bilateral regional and global groupings and agreements involving India
Why is it in News?
- The US department of state has approved the sale of 24 MH 60R ‘Romeo’ multi mission helicopters to India.
- Multi role helicopters are integral part of frontline warships like aircraft carriers, destroyers, frigates and corvettes. For years, Indian Navy has argued that its warships lack any modern anti-submarine helicopters with existing Sea King fleet now being obsolete.
Multi mission role:
- There are over 300 MH 60R helicopters globally and they have accumulated over 6,00,000 flight hours.
- It is designed to operate from destroyers, frigates, cruisers, cruisers and aircraft carriers.
- The multi mission capability of the Romeo includes anti- submarine and anti-surface warfare, search and rescue, vertical replenishment, command and control.
- It has situational awareness and actionable knowledge, enabling target engagement both close in and over the horizon.
- It strengths the US –Indian strategic relationship and to improve the security of a major defensive partner which continues to be an important force for political stability, peace, and economic progress in the Indo pacific and South Asia region.