Water Storage Level in Reservoirs Down by 1%
04, May 2019
Prelims level : Types of Reservoirs Mains level : What are the tradtional water conservation systems in india. | What is the status of Groundwater Level in India.
- The water storage available in 91 major reservoirs of the country for the week ending on May 02, 2019 was 40.592 BCM.
- Total storage capacity of these 91 reservoirs is 161.993 BCM which is nearly 63% of estimated total storage capacity of 257.812 BCM created in country.
- States having better storage are Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Gujarat, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- States having equal storage are Odisha and Andhra Pradesh and Telangana combined (AP&TG, Two combined projects in both states).
- States having lesser storage are Rajasthan, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, and Kerala.
- This is 25% of total storage capacity of these reservoirs.
- Storage during current year is less than storage of last year and is also less than average storage of last ten years
- 37 Reservoirs out of these 91 have hydropower benefit with installed capacity of more than 60 MW.