WAYU- Air Pollution mitigation device
Why in News?
- Recently air pollution control device WAYU (Wind Augmentation Purifying Unit) for traffic junctions was inaugurated in Delhi today.
WAYU (Wind Augmentation Purifying Unit):
- WAYU is developed by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research – National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) as a part of Technology Development Project funded by Department of Science and Technology.
- The device that has been indigenously developed has the capacity to purify air in an area of 500-meter square.
- The device consumes only half a unit of electricity for 10 hours of running and has a maintenance cost of only Rs. 1500 per month.
Working of the Device:
- The device works on two principles mainly Wind generation for dilution of air pollutants and Active Pollutants removal.
- The device has filters for Particulate Matter removal and activated carbon (charcoal) and UV lamps for poisonous gases removal such as VOCs and Carbon Monoxide.
- The device has one fan and filter for sucking and removing Particulate Matter.
- There are two UV lamps and half kg of activated carbon charcoal coated with special chemical Titanium Dioxide.
//php comments_template(); ?>