Prelims Syllabus : Environment- Climate Change Mains Syllabus : GS-III- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
Why in News?
- India is hosting the Second Lead Author Meeting of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group III Sixth Assessment Report at New Delhi from 30th September to 4th October 2019.
- More than 200 experts/authors including 12 from India and others from around 65 countries are expected to participate in this week-long meeting.
- The Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) will examine topics such as the link between consumption and behaviour and greenhouse gas emissions, and the role of innovation and technology.
- The report will assess the connection between short to medium-term actions and their compatibility with the long-term temperature goal in the Paris Agreement.
- It will assess mitigation options in sectors such as energy, agriculture, forestry and land use, buildings, transport and industry.
- The IPCC is the UN body for assessing the science related to climate change.
- It was established by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) in 1988 to provide political leaders with periodic scientific assessments concerning climate change, its implications and risks, as well as to put forward adaptation and mitigation strategies.
- It has 195 member states.
- For the assessment reports, IPCC scientists volunteer their time to assess the thousands of scientific papers published each year to provide a comprehensive summary of what is known about the drivers of climate change, its impacts and future risks, and how adaptation and mitigation can reduce those risks.
- The IPCC has three working groups. They are:
- Working Group I: Dealing with the physical science basis of climate change
- Working Group II: Dealing with impacts, adaptation and vulnerability
- Working Group III: Dealing with the mitigation of climate change
- It also has a Task Force on National Greenhouse Gas Inventories that develops methodologies for measuring emissions and removals.