World Biodiversity Day is observed on 22 May
23, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- The International Day for Biological Diversity (or World Biodiversity Day) is a United Nations-sanctioned international day to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues. The day is observed on May 22 every year. The theme for 2019 is 2019 – Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health.
- Biological Diversity falls within the scope of the UN Post-2015 Development Agenda’s Sustainable Development Goals. Agrobiodiversity and its potential to support human nutrition and good health is a critical component of the global sustainability agenda. The critical role of biodiversity in sustainable development was recognized in a Rio+20 outcome document, The World We Want: A Future for All.
- Theme 2019: Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health:
- This year’s International Day for Biological Diversity focuses on biodiversity as the foundation for our food and health and as a key catalyst to transforming food systems and improving human well-being.
- The theme aims to leverage knowledge and spread awareness of the dependency of our food systems, nutrition, and health on biodiversity and healthy ecosystems. The theme also celebrates the diversity provided by our natural systems for human existence and well-being on Earth, while contributing to otherSustainable Development Goals, including climate change mitigation and adaptation, ecosystems restoration, cleaner water, and zero hunger, among others.
To conserve and sustainably use biodiversity for the well-being, every individual need to:
- Reduce meat consumption
- Eat and purchase seasonal foods
- Buy local foods
- Reduce food waste
- Compost food scraps
- Reduce food packaging by using reusable bags or reusing glass jars or containers
- Avoid single-use plastics like plastic straws, coffee cups, plastic cutlery, take out containers or plastic water bottles
- Promote local and indigenous biodiversity for food and nutrition