World Toilet Day
Why in News?
- The Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) will celebrate the World Toilet Day with mass awareness and mobilization activities across States and districts.
- The day’s main focus is to inspire action to tackle the global sanitation crisis and ensure that everyone has a safe toilet by 2030.
- This is part of the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6: sanitation and water, which aims to ensure availability and sustainable management of sanitation and water for all by 2030.
- The focus is on usage of toilets, which is closely linked to the Prime Minister’s call for a Swachh Bharat by October 2019.
- The key objective of the observance is to engage with communities and reaffirm the national resolve to sustain the Sanitation achievement.
- The 2018 theme of the International Day is ‘toilets and nature’. This year’s campaign is based on the narrative: When nature calls, we have to listen and act.
- The theme focuses on the need to build toilets and sanitation systems that work in harmony with the environment.
- Organizing grassroots activities involving district, block and panchayat level teams, swachhagrahis and swachhata champions.
- In recognition to the work done by the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen), the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, is receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award at the World Toilet Summit.
//php comments_template(); ?>