YUVA VIGYANI KARYAKRAM PROGRAMME LAUNCHED BY ISRO.
07, Mar 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
GS 3: Science & Technology | Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers etc.
Why in News?
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched the Young Scientist Programme (Yuva Vigyani Karyakram) to impart basic knowledge on space technology, space science and applications to the young ones to arouse their interest in space activities.
Young Scientist Programme:
- For the Young Scientist Programme, ISRO will select over 100 students from across India and give them practical experience of how satellites are built. Three Students will be selected from each state/union territory to participate in the programme each year covering CBSE, ICSE and state syllabus on the basis of their academic performance and extracurricular activities.
- The Young Scientist Programme will involve a two-week residential training programme held each year during summer holidays for students from across the country who have completed class 8 and are studying in class 9.
- The students selected under the programme will also visit ISRO centres, interact with senior scientists, and will have access to research and development facilities.
- The students from rural areas will be given special weightage in the selection and all the expenses of travelling and boarding will be funded entirely by ISRO.
- ISRO will also launch Six incubation centres which will be established in various parts of the country- North, South, East, West, Centre and North-East to allow students to use these centres for R&D purposes. The first such centre was established in Agartala, Tripura.