Prelims Syllabus : International organizations/Events/Treaties Mains Syllabus : GS 2: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian Diaspora.
- India welcomed the end of political uncertainty in Sri Lanka with the return of Ranil Wickremesinghe as Prime Minister.
- This indicated the world the resilience of Sri Lankan democracy and its institutions.
- This is a reflection of the maturity demonstrated by all political forces
- Sri Lankan opposition leader Mahinda Rajapaksa was appointed prime minister in the month of October after President Maithripala Sirisena dismissed the incumbent in a surprise move that threatened political turmoil in the South Asian country.
- It did not follow democratic procedure and the move has also suspended SriLankan Parliament hindering government functioning and hence constitutional crisis.
- This was done without a floor test, showed the blatant use of executive power.