8th INDO – MYANMAR COORDINATED PATROL
Why in News?
Myanmar Navy Ships arrived Port Blair for the ‘Opening Ceremony’ of the 8th Indo- Myanmar coordinated patrol (IMCOR) at Andaman and Nicobar Command.
Indo-Myanmar coordinated patrol:
- The CORPAT initiative between the two navies is meant to address
Issues of terrorism,
Poaching and other illegal activities inimical to interest of both nations.
- The CORPAT series has enhanced the mutual understanding and fostered improved professional interaction between the two navies for maritime interoperability.
- The patrolling effort will be augmented by Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both the navies.
- The ships would patrol along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) between the two countries covering a distance of approximately 725 Kilometres.
- The ships will also undertake joint manoeuvres and drills during the sea phase of coordinated patrol (CORPAT) prior ‘Closing Ceremony’ of the CORPAT.