A FILM ON LIFE AND TIMES OF SHEIKH MUJIBUR RAHMAN
08, May 2019
Prelims level : History Mains level : Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society
Why in News:
- State broadcaster Prasar Bharati will be co-producing a feature film directed by Shyam Benegal on the life of the founding father of Bangladesh, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, and also a documentary on Bangladesh Liberation War.
- The decision was taken after a Bangladeshi delegation led by adviser to the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, and including Bangladesh High Commissioner to India.
- The announcement comes in the backdrop of raging debate on the National Register of Citizens in the northeast that seeks to disenfranchise Bangladeshi migrants.
- The announcement is a culmination of a three-year dialogue between the two countries on the issue.
- Co-production of a documentary on the Bangladesh Liberation War was also discussed It was mutually agreed that the director of the documentary would be from Bangladesh who would be assisted by a co-director from India.
- A working agreement on cooperation between All India Radio and Bangladesh Betar was also agreed upon.
Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, famously known as Bangabandhu was declared the first president of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, while Vice-president Syed Nazrul Islam became the acting president in the absence of Bangabandhu.
- Mujibnagar Day is observed on 17th April because on this day senior leaders of Awami League assembled at Baidyanathtala—a mango orchard that was later named as Mujibnagar—in Meherpur district on April 17, to form the provisional government of independent Bangladesh.
- On the Occasion Bangladeshi PM Sheikh Hasina paid tributes to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at the Bangabandhu Memorial Museum, in Dhanmondi, Dhaka