ATMOSPHERIC WATER GENERATOR (AWG)
15, Feb 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
GS 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Why in News?
- A Navratna PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) has unveiled the Atmospheric Water Generator (AWG).
- can be used to provide drinking water in community centres and public places.
Atmospheric Water Generator:
- The AWG is being manufactured by BEL in collaboration with CSIR-IICT and MAITHRI, astart-up company based in Hyderabad.
- It employs a novel technology to extract water from the humidity present in the atmosphere and purify it.
- It uses heat exchange for condensing the atmospheric moisture to produce pure, safe and clean potable water.
- It comes with a Mineralization Unit, which is used to add minerals which are required to make the water potable.
- The AWG is configurable in static and mobile (vehicular) versions and is available in 30 litres/day, 100 litres/day, 500 litres/day and 1,000 litres/day capacities.