Cabinet approves Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill 2019
13, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Union Cabinet has approved the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill 2019 to replace Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Ordinance 2019.
- This will enable UIDAI to have a more robust mechanism to serve the public interest and restrain the misuse of Aadhar.
- After the amendment, no individual will be compelled to provide proof of possession of Aadhaar number or undergo authentication for the purpose of establishing his identity unless it is so provided by a law made by Parliament.
- For the convenience of the general public in the opening of bank accounts, the proposed amendments will allow the use of Aadhaar number for authentication on a voluntary basis as an acceptable KYC document. The Bill will be introduced in the ensuing session of Parliament.
- Giving a major push to reforms in the education sector, Cabinet has approved the introduction of Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers’ Cadre) Bill 2019.
- The amendment will also ensure providing 10 per cent reservation to Economically weaker section. The move is expected to improve the teaching standards in the higher educational institutions by attracting all eligible talented candidates belonging to SCs, STs, Socially and Educationally Backward Classes and economically weaker section.
- The bill will replace the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers’ Cadre) ordinance 2019 and will be introduced in the forthcoming Parliament session.