02, Oct 2019
Prelims level : E-Governance Mains level : GS-II- Important aspects of Governance, Transparency and Accountability, e-governance- Applications, Models, Successes, Limitations, and Potential; Citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and Other Measures.
Why in News?
- In order to fast-track consumer grievance redressal process and provide an effective forum for consumers to give their valuable suggestions Union Minister of Consumer Affairs launched the ‘Consumer App’.
- The app aims to provide a one stop solution for consumer grievance redressal at the palm of every consumer across the nation via mobile phones.
- The complaint status will be monitored on a daily basis by the ministry and on a weekly basis by the minister personally.
- The registered consumer will be informed about their complaint via SMS/E-mail with a unique number which can be tracked by the consumer.
- The knowledgebase available in the app is very useful feature that will help consumers get information pertaining to 42 Sectors including Consumer Durables, Electronic Products, e-commerce, Banking, Insurance, etc.
- There will be time bound resolution of all grievances and those that are simple in nature will be resolved within 20 days.Those that elicit a feedback from companies or further enquiries will be resolved within 2 months/60 days.If after 60 days the grievance is not resolved, the consumer will be advised to proceed to consumer fora.
- Also, now the consumer will be informed before closure of a complaint and if the consumer is not satisfied then the complaint will be referred further to the concerned department.