CYCLONE FANI: ODISHA EVACUATES OVER 11 LAKH
03, May 2019
Prelims level : Geography Mains level : Technology, Economic Development, Bio diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management
Why in News?
- With the extremely severe cyclonic storm Fani expected to cross the Odisha coast, the State government evacuated over 11 lakh people from low-lying areas in 15 districts.
- Fani is expected to make landfall
- The cyclone will hit the coast with a maximum sustained wind speed of 170-180 kmph, gusting to 200 kmph.
- As many as 25 teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Odisha Disaster Rapid
- Action Force (ODRAF) along with State fire service personnel have been deployed in the coastal districts
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF)
- NDRF stands for National Disaster Response Force It comes under Ministry of Home Affairs
- It is the only dedicated disaster response force in the world Established in 2006
- HQ: New Delhi
- At present there are 12 battalions in NDRF which are deployed strategically across country to provide immediate response.
- 4 new battalions are sanctioned by Union Cabinet.
Role and Mandate of NDRF:
- Specialized response during disasters.
- Proactive deployment during impending disaster situations. Acquire and continually upgrade its own training and skills. Reconnaissance, Rehearsals and Mock Drills.
- Impart basic and operational level training to State Response Forces (Police, Civil Defence and Home Guards).
- Community Capacity Building Programme. Organize Public Awareness Campaigns.
- Tropical cyclones are regarded as one of the most devastating natural calamities in the world. They originate and intensify over warm tropical oceans.
- These are ferocious storms that originate over oceans in tropical areas and move over to the coastal areas causing violent winds, very heavy rainfall, and storm outpourings.