19, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Economy Mains level : GS- III: Technology, Economic Development, Bio diversity, Environment
- RBI last year mandated companies to store their payments data “only in India” so that the regulator could have “unfettered supervisory access”.
- The RBI will examine concerns around its strict data localisation rules that require storing of customer data exclusively in India without creating mirror sites overseas.
What is Data Localisation:
- Data localisation laws refer to regulations that dictate how data on a nation’s citizens is collected, processed and stored inside the country.
Significance of Data Localisation:
- Data localisation is critical for law enforcement.
- Access to data by Indian law agencies, in case of a breach or threat, cannot be dependent on the whims and fancies, nor on lengthy legal processes of another nation that hosts data generated in India.
What India can do:
- It may not be wise for India to have the liberal rules as developed nation.
- Only Mandatory rule on data localisation in India is by the Reserve Bank of India for payment systems. Justice Sri krishna Committee report – to identify key data protection issues in India and recommend methods of addressing them”.