Prelims Syllabus : Governance - Policies Mains Syllabus : GS-II Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and Issues Arising out of their Design and Implementation
Why in News?
- Recently Indian government has initiated few digital initiatives in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic. This is how technology comes as a saviour in the critical times.
Few Initiatives taken by the Government:
Platform to host Webinars:
- The Government has developed a platform which will host webinars by All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) doctors for healthcare workers across the country.
- A webinar platform has been developed in tandem with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The webinars are for the frontline health workers (nurses, paramedics, ASHA- Accredited Social Health Activist workers, Anganwadi workers), who are more prone to COVID-19.
- The webinars would be streamed on Facebook, YouTube and WhatsApp..
- The state governments would also be involved so as to make the content available in regional languages.
- The Government has also developed a contact path tracing app that will trace the paths of COVID-19 positive patients, serving as a warning to possible contacts.
- The app would store location data and would enter the credentials of the person if he/she tests positive. This information would be sent to the cloud.
- A signal would come to the app which would convert it from green to red.
- The server would then find out people who were in close proximity with the infected person in the last 14 days.
- Their apps would turn yellow and they would get an alert that they should quarantine themselves.
Other Initiatives of the Government:
- Chat Boxes on Facebook and WhatsApp have been set up by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) for providing information about COVID-19.
- A portal to map the requirements of hospitals, and cross-referencing them with those who have offered to help with equipment is also being set up by the government.