Discuss about BIMSTEC and its recent grouping by India’s PM also explain about its significance
Structure of answer:
- • Introduction (Say about BIMSTEC in general).
- • What is BIMSTEC? (Say about what are countries present, when its started).
- • Recent Grouping.
- • Significance of BIMSTEC.
- • Conclusion.
- • In an effort to integrate the region, the grouping was formed in 1997, originally
with Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka and Thailand, and later included Myanmar, Nepal and Bhutan.
- • BIMSTEC, which now includes five countries from South Asia and two from ASEAN, is a bridge between South Asia and Southeast Asia.
- • It includes all the major countries of South Asia, except Maldives, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- • India’s Prime Minister held meetings with the visiting foreign leaders who had attended the swearing-in ceremony on May 30th, 2019.
- • At the meetings, Prime Minister urged for a closer multilateral and bilateral cooperation.
- • President of Kyrgyz Repubic, Sooranbay Jeenbekov, was the first to meet India’s PM,
hours after the event at the Forecourt of the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- • The visiting side reiterated the invite to him to visit capital Bishkek for the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit meeting in June.
- • It is important to note that the Kyrgyz Republic is the current SCO chair.
//php comments_template(); ?>