16, Jul 2018
Prelims level : E - Governance Mains level : Paper - II Importance aspect of e - governance
- The data collected during the 2021 Census will be stored electronically. first time since the decennial exercise was conducted in 1951 in Independent India.
- Till now census data being stored in a physical form at the government’s storehouse in Delhi, the data is preserved for 10 years and then it is destroyed.
- For this census rules 1990 was amended & electronic record(data) linked to Information Technology Act,2000.
- If any tampering with the data will invite punishment under the Information Technology Act, 2000
Census in INDIA:
- It is an decennial operation.
- Still now 15 census was conducted (prior to independence conducted from 1865 to 1947)
- 1865-first proper census conducted but it covered only some parts of India
- 1872-only British administrative area was censused.
- 1881-First decennial all India census conducted.
- Post-Independence Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India was created under ministry of Home Affairs which take census.
- Census data was collected in 16 languages and the training manual was prepared in 18 languages.