ELECTORS VERIFICATION PROGRAMME
05, Sep 2019
Prelims level : Governance- Elections & Electoral Reforms Mains level : GS-II- Important aspects of Governance, Transparency and Accountability, e-governance- Applications, Models, Successes, Limitations, and Potential; Citizens Charters, Transparency & Accountability and Institutional and Other Measures.
Why in News?
- The Election Commission of India has launched a 15-day-long Electors Verification Programme where voters can verify their data with the poll body.
- The campaign that was kick-started on 01 September allows the voter to let the poll body know whether the data about him or her is correct
Electors Verification Programme:
- The main aim of the programme is to improve the health of Electoral rolls and to provide better electoral services to citizens and increase the level of Communication between voters and the Commission.
- The program has been launched at all Levels starting from the State/UT Headquarters by 32 CEOs, District level by about 700 DEOs and at around 1 million Polling Stations by BLOs/EROs and will continue from September 1, 2019 to October 15, 2019.
- The voters can log on to NVSP portal (nvsp.in) or Voter Helpline App or Common Service Centres or any nearby voter facilitation centre to avail the following facilities.
- Verification and corrections of the existing details
- Authentication of entry by furnishing scanned/DigiLocker copy of one of the following documents:(i) Indian Passport (ii) Driving License (iii) Aadhaar Card (iv) Ration Card (v) identity card for Government/Semi Government Officials (vi) Bank Passbooks (vii) Farmer’s Identity Card (viii) PAN Card (ix) Smart Card issued by RGI (x) Latest bill for water/electricity/telephone/gas connection.
- Furnishing details of family members and verifying their entries too
- Updating details of family members already enrolled as voters but permanently shifted or expired
- Furnishing details of eligible un-enrolled family members (born on or before 01.01.2001) and prospective electors born between (02.01.2002 till 01.01.2003) who are residing with the elector.
- Furnishing GIS Coordinates of House (through Mobile App) to avail better electoral Services. Feedback regarding existing Polling Stations and suggestions on alternate PS, if any.