Prelims level : Environment- National Conservation & Mitigation, Governance Mains level : GS-III- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
Why in News?
- The Indian Army in step with government policies on environmental protection has launched an ecological initiative with employing E Cars for use of its officials in New Delhi in partnership with Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL), a joint Venture of Central PSUs under Ministry of Power.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is a joint venture of four national Public-Sector Undertakings – NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation Limited, Rural Electrification Corporation Limited and POWERGRID Corporation of India Limited.As South Asia’s first and foremost energy efficiency leader, EESL leads the market-related activities of the National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency (NMEEE), one of the eight national missions under the Prime Minister’s National Action Plan on Climate Change.
- EESL is implementing the following Programmes:
- Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA): World’s largest zero-subsidy domestic LED bulb programme
- Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP): World’s largest street light replacement programme
- Agriculture Demand Side management (AgDSM): World’s largest Agricultural Demand Side Management programme