Why in News?
- Recently, 1 lakh and 75 thousand bee boxes have been distributed so far by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) after providing beekeeping training to 17 thousand 500 beneficiaries across the country, under Honey Mission
- It was launched in 2017 in line with the ‘Sweet Revolution’.
- Under the mission, the KVIC under Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises provides the farmers or beekeepers –
- Practical training about the examination of honeybee colonies,
- Identification and management of bee enemies and diseases along with the management of bee colonies in all seasons.
- Acquaintance with apicultural equipment’s and
- Honey extraction and wax purification
- It is an ambitious initiative of the Government of India for promoting apiculture, popularly known as ‘beekeeping’.
- To provide a booster shot to Sweet Revolution, the government launched the National Beekeeping and Honey Mission in 2020 (a central sector scheme under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare) as part of the AtmaNirbhar Bharat scheme.
- Technology intervention through this mission will ensure bee conservation, prevent diseases or the loss of bee colonies and provide quality and quantity of apiculture products.
- Farming practices will yield superior-quality honey and other products for the domestic as well as international market.
- Beekeeping is a low investment and highly skilled enterprise model, in which technology application has emerged as a great enabler for socio-economic growth.
- Scaling up beekeeping will double farmers’ income, generate employment, ensure food security and bee conservation, and increase crop productivity.
What is KVIC?
- KVIC is a statutory body established under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act, 1956.
- The KVIC is charged with the planning, promotion, organisation and implementation of programmes for the development of Khadi and other village industries in the rural areas in coordination with other agencies engaged in rural development wherever necessary.
- It functions under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.