ICMR HEAD BALRAM BHARGAVA WINS DR. LEE JONG-WOOK PRIZE FOR PUBLIC HEALTH
27, May 2019
Prelims level : Governance Mains level : GS-II Governance, Social Justice and IR
Why in News:
- ICMR head Balram Bhargava wins Dr. Lee Jong- wook Prize for Public Health
Background: / ICMR:
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) is
- today the apex and premier medical research organization in the country which spearheads planning, formulation, coordination, implementation and promotion of biomedical research.
- It is one of the oldest medical research bodies in the world.
- In 1911, Government of India made a historic decision to establish Indian Research Fund Association (IRFA) with the specific objectives of sponsoring and coordinating medical research in the country.
- After Independence, in 1949, the IRFA was re-designated as the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) with considerably expansion in its functions and activities.
- Apex body in India for formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research
- Conduct, coordinate and implement medical research for the benefit of the Society
- Translating medical innovations in to products/processes and introducing them in to the public health system
- Translating Research into Action for improving the health of the population
- Generate, manage and disseminate new knowledge.
- Increase focus on research on the health problems of the vulnerable, the disadvantaged and marginalized section of the society. Harness and
- encourage the use of modern biology tools in addressing health concerns of the country.
- Encourage innovations and translation related to diagnostics, treatment, methods/ vaccines for prevention.
- Inculcate a culture of research in academia especially medical colleges and other health research institutions by strengthening infra-structure and human resource.
- Integrate research in different systems of medicine.
- Today ICMR has pan-India presence with 26 research institutes mandated to work on national health research needs with the ICMR Headquarter as the nodal point of all ICMR funded extramural and intramural research. There are 14 divisions at ICMR Headquarters that deals with different areas of medical research.