India’s first all woman crew flies Mi – 17 V5 medium lift helicopter
31, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Three women officers of Indian Air Force were part of India’s first all-women crew to fly a medium-lift helicopter Mi-17 V5.
- Flight Lieutenant Parul Bhardwaj (Captain), Flying Officer Aman Nidhi (co-pilot) and Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal (Flight Engineer) were three women IAF officers flew the chopper, which took off from a forward air base in South Western air command.
- All three women officers flew a Mi-1 7 V5 helicopter for Battle Inoculation Training mission.
- Under this mission, the helicopter had taken off and landed from restricted areas at a forward airbase in South Western air command.
- Flight Lieutenant Parul Bhardwaj became the first woman pilot to fly the Mi-17 V5.
- Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal became the first woman flight engineer of the IAF.
- Flying officer Aman Nidhi from Jharkhand also became the first woman IAF pilot from the state.