India’s first Tree Ambulance initiated in Chennai by Green man of India
29, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- International Day for Biological Diversity tree ambulance was inaugurated in Chennai, Tamil Nadu by Vice President of India, Venkaiah Naidu.
- The initiative was proposed by Green man of India, Dr K Abdul Ghani and it is sponsored by the SASA Group.
- The ambulance can be availed through the number 9941006786 and volunteers can register on www.treeambulance.org.
- Services provided by Tree Ambulance first-aid treatment are uprooted tree planting, seed bank, seed ball distribution, plant distribution, aiding tree plantation, shifting trees, a survey of trees and removal of dead trees.
- The reallocation of trees will be done free of cost. iii. The ambulance has helpers and a plant expert, who carry gardening tools, water, manure, and pesticide with them.
- Due to some kind of disaster each year, like cyclones Vardah and Gaja, tress used to get uprooted in the city and not even one of them is replanted due to which Chennai has lowest green cover among all the metropolitan cities in the country.
- Also, there are hundreds of dead trees in Chennai which poses a hazard to the public.