KARTARPUR SAHIB DAMAGE
20, Apr 2020
Prelims level : Indian History – Art and Culture Mains level : GS-I Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to Modern Times.
Why in News?
- India has asked Pakistan to repair and reconstruction of parts of Kartarpur Sahib gurudwara that was damaged in a Recent Storm.
About Katarpur Sahib:
- Guru Nanak Dev travelled through many countries spreading the message of universal peace, harmony and love before finally arriving in Kartarpur in 1521.
- Kartarpur became a religious site after he settled there.
- The shrine in Pakistan’s Narowal district, built where founder of the Sikh faith, Guru Nanak Dev, lived the last years of his life, is highly revered by followers of the faith and other worshippers in India and the world.
- The foundation stone of the gurdwara in Kartarpur was laid in 1572 and Maharaja Ranjit Singh covered its dome with gold.
- The present structure was built by Bhupinder Singh, the Maharaja of Patiala in 1925.
About Guru Nanak:
- Guru Nanak Dev Jayanti is observed to celebrate the birth of Guru Nanak Dev (1469-1539), who is first of the 10 Sikh Gurus and the founder of Sikhism.
- He advocated the ‘Nirguna’ (devotion to and worship of formless divine) form of bhakti.
- He rejected sacrifices, ritual baths, image worship, austerities and the scriptures of both Hindus and Muslims.
- He organised his followers into a community. He set up rules for congregational worship (Sangat) involving Collective Recitation.