LPG scheme to cover poor people
18, Dec 2018
Prelims level : Schemes Mains level : GS 2: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- The Union Cabinet on Monday approved the expansion of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, which aims to provide deposit-free LPG connections to all poor households.
- Earlier, the scheme has targeted the poor and underprivileged based on the Socio-Economic and Caste Census, 2011.
- Following this decision by the Union Cabinet, poor people will be able to opt for the scheme even if they so far were not eligible, after furnishing the required identification documents
- The scheme has reached to provide LPG connections to six crore people by 2018.
About Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojna
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojna is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for providing LPG connections to women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) households.
- It aims to replace unclean cooking fuels used in the most underprivileged households with clean and more efficient LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas)
- Families below the poverty line are to be provided with LPG connections with a support of Rs. 1,600 per connection.
- Oil Marketing Companies would provide an option for the new consumer to opt for loan to cover the cost of a cooking stove and first refill.
- The LPG connections will be issued in the name of the women of the households.
- Initially the target was installation of 5 crore new LPG connections by 2019
- Target revised to 8 crore- to be achieved by 2019-20
- LPG Panchayats:
- LPG Panchayat serves as platform for interaction between those who received LPG cylinders under PMUY.
- It aims to raise awareness among LPG users about proper use of clean fuel and its advantages
- BPL households identified through Socio-Economic Caste Census data
- All SC/STs households beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana(PMAY) (Gramin)
- Beneficiaries of Antyoday Anna Yojana (AAY)
- Forest dwellers
- Most Backward Classes (MBC)
- Tea & Ex-Tea Garden Tribes
- People residing in Islands
- People residing in river island
- Now, it has been extended to all poor households