MAINAMATI MAITREE EXERCISE 2019 CONCLUDED BETWEEN INDIAN BSF AND BGB
04, Mar 2019
Prelims level : Mainamati Maitree Exercise Mains level :
Why in News?
Indian Border Security Force (BSF) and Border Guards Bangladesh (BGB) concluded a three-day Mainamati Maitree Exercise 2019 as a part of confidence-building measures between the two border guards.
Mainamati Maitree Exercise 2019:
- The exercise was named after Mainamati hill range situated 8 km west of Comilla Township in Bangladesh, which is home to an ancient Buddhist archaeological site in the region.
- The exercise was held in areas near Srimantapur in Sipahijala district, bordering Comilla district in Bangladesh.
- The objective of Mainamati Maitree Exercise 2019 was to plan and conduct anti-smuggling and anti-criminal activity related operations with an aim to achieve better joint operational efficiency and border management in the area.
- The exercise involved joint patrolling, anti-smuggling drills, and simulated raids on suspected places in both the countries and checking of goods and identity at international check posts.
- After the Standoff between the Border Security Force (BSF) and Border Guards Bangladesh (BGB) around 31 Rohingya people who were were found crossing the international border into Bangladesh in January, series of joint exercises and exchanges are being held in the Tripura-Bangla frontier as part of the confidence-building measure.