Manipur ‘Extra-judicial killings’
12, Aug 2018
Prelims level : Mains level : Paper – II Internal Security
- The CBI has taken over yet another murder case in connection with the alleged fake encounters in Manipur, pursuant to a Supreme Court directive.
- The agency had re-registered 30 such FIRs so far.
- ASupreme Court-appointed high-power commission headed by the retired SC judge Santosh Hegde probing six cases of alleged extra-judicial killings in Manipur, has found in their report that these were not genuine encounters and the victims did not have any criminal records.
- The report makes it clear that the guidelines on encounters laid down by the SC in the Naga People’s Movement case was not followed.
- The commission was also mandatedto address the larger question of the role of the State police and the security forces and make a report on their functioning and make recommendations for keeping the police and security forces within the legal limits without compromising on the fight against insurgency, If it was found that they violated legal bounds.
- It submitted report on March 30, 2013 concluded that the incident in question was not an encounter, but an operation by the security agencies had caused the deaths.