Meghalaya CM Conrad Sangma launched a new project to boost medicinal plant cultivation
30, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level : Discuss the role of pollinators in agricultural and horticultural production. Examine the reasons for declining population of pollinators. Suggest measures to improve the situation?
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma launched a new project to boost medicinal and aromatic plants cultivation named “Aroma Mission”.
- “Aroma Mission” a project of Rs.18 crore launched to give importance for agriculture and allied sectors so that farmers earn the benefits from it.
- CM inaugurated a processing unit of essential oils and insisted institutions like CSIR-CIMAP to undertake more researches in this field.
- Broomsticks and bay leaves were categorized as ‘Agro Forestry’ items.
- Cultivation of lemon grass and citronella plant will be undertaken on 50-acre plots in every district of the state.
- Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP) is a plant research laboratory of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)