NIRD-PR launches training programme of Sustainable Livelihoods and Adaptation to Climate Change
13, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- The Hyderabad based National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRDPR) has launched a training programme of Sustainable Livelihoods and Adaptation to Climate Change (SLACC) to help Rural Poor Farm Holds adapt to Climate Change and sustain their livelihoods.
- The programme has been launched under the National Rural Livelihood Mission.
- The impact of Climate Change on farmers, especially small and marginal ones is high in any part of the country.
- If the affected areas are flood-prone and drought-prone, the impact is enormous.
- The NIRD-PR has developed a training manual for Sustainable Livelihoods and Adaptation to Climate Change called SLACC.
- The National Institute has taken up training the first batch Climate-Smart Community Resource Persons so that they help the community at the grassroots level to combat the impact of climate change.
- The project has begun for Shivapur and Mandla districts of Madhya Pradesh and Madhubani and Gaya districts of Bihar on pilot basis.
- The training will help improve the adaptive capacity of the community especially the poor engaged in farm-based livelihoods to cope with climate change.
- Total 638 drought and flood-prone villages of Madhya Pradesh and Bihar are being covered on pilot basis under this first of its kind initiative.