NITI Aayog launches Global Hackathon on Artificial Intelligence
14, Dec 2018
Prelims level : Global Hackathon on Artificial Intelligence Mains level : Science & Technology | Developments and their applications and effects in everyday life.
Why in News?
- NITI Aayog is partnering with Perlin – a Singapore-based AI start up – to launch the ‘AI 4 All Global Hackathon’, With the vision to further expand the idea of‘Artificial Intelligence, AI for All’ articulated in the National AI Strategy.
- The objective of this hackathon is to promote awareness and subsequently develop solutions that deliver the twin benefit of efficient computing to address the infrastructure challenges, while also not compromising on privacy of data for training AI algorithms.
- The Hackathon was announced at the AI conference organised by NITI Aayog, in partnership with the ORF, held in Mumbai in November 2018.
- The first stage will invite ideas for use cases of multi-party computation in areas such as healthcare, education, agriculture, urbanisation and financial inclusion.
- The second stage will call for these ideas to be matured and developed, with a focus on privacy preserving AI and distributed computing.
- The participants will also get mentorship and support from the hackathon co-sponsors, including the opportunity to scale and implement their AI applications.
- The AI for All Hackathon underscores the commitment of NITI Aayog to supporting meaningful social, economic and technological advancements directed at making people’s lives better.
- The government’s policy think tank organised its first hackathon, ‘MoveHack’ in August, on the sidelines of the Global Mobility Summit 2018, with the aim of garnering cutting-edge mobility applications. Over 2,000 submissions were received out of which the top 10 teams were awarded at the summit.