NPPA reduced prices of 9 cancer medicines
23, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has reduced the prices of 9 non-scheduled cancer drugs by up to 87%.
- This decision is in continuation of nodal agency’s efforts to bring down drugs prices.
- In February 2019, the government had capped about 42 cancer drugs at 30%.
- It was established by a Government of India Resolution in 1997. It is an office attached to Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- It is an independent Regulator for pricing of drugs. Ito ensures accessibility and availability of medicines to people at affordable prices.
- The NPPA currently fixes price of drugs on National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) under schedule-I of Drug Price Control Orders (DPCO). Till date about 1,000 drugs have been price-capped by this mode.