PARAKH (Performance Assessment, Review, and Analysis of Knowledge for Holistic Development)
PARAKH (Performance Assessment, Review, and Analysis
of Knowledge for Holistic Development)
Why in News?
- The National Council for Education Research and Training (NCERT) has recently notified India’s first national assessment regulator, PARAKH (Performance Assessment, Review, and Analysis of Knowledge for Holistic Development), which aims to set up assessment guidelines for all boards.
- PARAKH has been launched as part of the implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP)-2020 that envisaged a standard-setting body to advise school boards regarding new assessment patterns and latest research, and promote collaborations between them.
- It will act as a constituent unit of the NCERT.
- It will also be tasked with holding periodic learning outcome tests like the National Achievement Survey (NAS) and State Achievement Surveys.
- It will work on three major assessment areas: large-scale assessments, school-based assessment, and examination reforms.
- Setting norms, standards and guidelines for student assessment and evaluation for all recognized school boards of India.
- Enhance Assessment Pattern will encourage and help school boards to shift their assessment patterns towards meeting the skill requirements of the 21st century.
- Reduce Disparity in Evaluation will bring uniformity across the state and central boards which currently follow different standards of evaluation, leading to wide disparities in scores.
- The benchmark assessment framework will seek to put an end to the emphasis on rote learning, as envisaged by the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- Removes Disparity in College Admission will help tackle the problem of students of some state boards being at a disadvantage during college admissions as compared to their peers in CBSE schools.
- Innovative Evaluation will develop and implement the technical standards for the design, conduct, analysis and reporting of tests at all levels of school education.
- PARAKH further aims to facilitate an inclusive, participatory and holistic approach to education, which takes into consideration field experiences, empirical research, stakeholder feedback, as well as lessons learned from best practices.
- Progressive Shift is a progressive shift towards a more scientific approach to education.
- The prescribed structure will help to cater to the ability of the child – stages of cognitive development as well as social and physical awareness.