Pinaka Guided Weapons System
GS 3: Internal Security
Why in News?
Defence Research and Defence Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired the Guided PINAKA from Pokhran ranges.
- The successful test trial gives a boost to the artillery capability of the Indian Army.
- Pinaka Guided Weapon System is equipped with a guidance kit comprising an advanced navigation and control system.
- In both the missions, the weapon systems impacted the intended targets with high precision and achieved desired accuracies.
- Telemetry Systems tracked and monitored the vehicle all through the flight path. All the mission objectives have been met.
Pinaka Guided Weapons System:
- Pinaka rocket systems are developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).The rocket system is named after Pinaka, the bow of Lord Shiva.
- Pinaka was initially a 30 to 40 km range rocket. Its range was increased 70 to 80 km with Pinaka Mark II.
- Multi-Barrel Rocket System PINAKA, an area weapon system to supplement the existing artillery gun at ranges beyond 30 kms, having quick reaction time and high rate of fire has been accepted by the user after extensive trials.
- Pinaka rockets were used in the Kargil War with Pakistan.
- With the increased range there came a need for a more accuracy.
- To fulfil this requirement guided version of the Pinaka is being developed by DRDO.