PM Modi & Maldives President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih hold discussions on range of subjects of bilateral interest
10, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Maldives President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih held discussions on a range of subjects of bilateral interest at the President’s office in Male this evening.
- It will be followed by delegation level talks between India and the Maldives. Several agreements and MoUs are expected to be signed at the end of the talks. Later the two leaders will issue a joint statement.
- He will also be conferred the highest award of the, Maldives known as Nishan Izzuddin by President Solih. Prime Minister Modi would be the only foreign leader so far to receive the honour from the archipelago nation.
- This visit indicates the importance India attaches to strong ties with the Republic of Maldives and the desire to boost cooperation in various spheres.
- This is the first bilateral visit to Maldives of an Indian Prime Minister after 2011.