RARE VINE SNAKE SPECIES DISCOVERED IN ODISHA
26, May 2019
Prelims level : Environment Mains level : GS-III Technology, Economic Development, and Environment
Why in News:
- At a time when coastal Odisha is staring at an ecology crisis in the aftermath of cyclone Fani, a team of researchers has discovered a new snake species in the State bringing cheer to wildlife lovers and herpetologists.
- The species, Laudankia vine snake, has been found in Similipal, Balasore and Boudh.
- Of nine species of vine snake reported from across the country so far,
- Odisha is home to three – common Indian vine snake, variable coloured vine snake and Laudankia, which is also found in Maharashtra and Rajasthan.
- the vine snake was discovered after a gap of 113 years.
- The species is very rare in comparison to other sympatric vine snake family such as Ahaetulla nasuta and Ahaetulla anomala.