Regional Connectivity Scheme UDAN 3
GS 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Why in News?
- · Opening the third round of the regional connectivity scheme (RCS), the Ministry of Civil Aviation has invited proposals for air routes that include tourist destinations
Eye for seaplanes:
- Seaplanes may soon be operating commercial passenger flights in India with the Centre inviting bids for connecting selected destinations under the RCS
- Few destinations that the government proposes to connect through seaplanes are the recently unveiled Statue of Unity at SardarSarovar Dam, Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad, Tehri Dam in Uttarakhand and NagarjunaSagar in Telangana.
RCS in phase 3:
- In the latest phase, the Centre is reoffering 34 airports that weren’t successfully connected.
- Some destinations have been put on the block again as helicopter operations failed to take off.
- The Centre has also offered 23 tourist destinations including Bodh Gaya, Agra, Kanha, Varanasi, Hampi, Mysore and Kullu.
- The previous two rounds saw a total of 428 routes awarded to 17 airlines and helicopter operators.
//php comments_template(); ?>