Tripura launches Sustainable Catchment Forest Management Project
Why in news?
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb launched the Sustainable Catchment Forest Management (SCATFORM) Project which is undertaken with the assistance of JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency).
Sustainable Catchment Forest Management (SCATFORM) Project:
- The SCATFORM project aims to address issues such as forest cover loss and forest degradation that have been mainly caused by shifting cultivation, which increases soil erosion risks on hill slopes especially in upper catchment areas.
- The SCATFORM project would be implemented mainly in upper catchments where forest degradation and soil erosion are severe and livelihood improvement needs are high.
- The project aims to the improve quality of forest in the catchment area by sustainable forest management, soil and moisture conservation and livelihood development.
- The activities undertaken under the project involves:
- Promotion of bamboo plantation Agroforestry based livelihood.
- Eco-Tourism Development
- Development of value addition for bamboo and other Non-Timber Forest Product (NTFP) in order to create alternate livelihood opportunities for local communities
- The 80 per cent of the cost is contributed by JICA and the rest would be funded by the state and Central Governments.
Japan International Cooperation Agency:
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) aims to promote international cooperation as the Japanese Governmental Agency in charge of official development assistance implementation.
- JICA which is an incorporated administrative institution under the Government of Japan is the world’s largest bilateral donor agency.
//php comments_template(); ?>