YOUTH ROAD SAFETY LEARNERS LICENCE PROGRAMME
Why in News?
- Ministry of State for Road Transport and Highways launched the Youth Road Safety Learners Licence programme in New Delhi.
- The programme is a PPP initiative to be run in collaboration with Diageo India and the Institute of Road Traffic Education (IRTE)
- Attempts to bring a formal and structured training program for young, first-time drivers as they apply for learner’s license.
- This programme will help the Government achieve its target of reducing road accidents by 50 percent by 2020.
Reasons for high road accidents:
- Rash driving, Drunken driving
- Lack of adequate safety measures like not wearing helmets
Road to Safety initiative:
- To provide capacity building training to traffic police officials and educate commercial drivers such as truckers and bus drivers and university students on the dangers of drunken driving.
//php comments_template(); ?>